A leading Victorian Law Firm is seeking a General Manager - People in the Melbourne / Geelong areas
The General Manager – People role holds critical importance across the firm. The role reports to the Chief Executive Officer but has open and direct dialogue with principals as needed.
The General Manager – People is one of four GM roles at the firm, alongside Finance, Technology & Knowledge Services and Digital & Engagement. This group is close knit and has an inter-related purpose that contributes to the firm’s overall strategic objectives.
The role has a multitude of elements to it, which combined are undersold by trying to fit in to a traditional position description. There are two supporting HR staff members (less than 1.0 FTE each), one each in Geelong and Melbourne. The payroll officer sits separately from HR and is within the finance function.
In broad terms, the firm relies on the GM – People role to:
- Manage policy implementation and review, and key governance obligations such as qualification for Workplace General Equality, Award audits and CPD.
- Oversee all recruiting efforts, from the resignation/replacement trigger to identification, interviewing and recommendation of prospective new employees.
- Oversee the Graduate/Seasonal clerkship program.
- Facilitate the induction, learning and development and firm CPD requirements.
- Liaise with the GM – Finance for financial perspectives on key People related decisions.
- Monitor market movements and insight from networks and media and provide first stage salary review recommendations to the CEO half yearly.
- Oversee the staff benefits programs, including the Employee Assistance Program.
- Oversee key staff engagement initiatives, from the simple morning teas and birthday cakes to
- more extensive undertakings such as social clubs and all of firm events.
- Facilitate key aspects of talent/succession/progression, including Board reporting including an
- annual talent and leadership matrix.
- Develop and manage the performance and appraisal process, including facilitating bi-annual
- (KPI-style) discussions for lawyers and annual KPI discussions for administration staff.
- Coaching and staff development in consultation with principals and supervisors, including the
- identification and facilitation of support (professional and personal) services.
The firm supports all of its’ General Managers with their own CPD requirements, conference and webinar attendance, and inclusion in principals retreat and similar events.
Location: Geelong or Melbourne (standard week split in to two days Geelong, two days Melbourne and one day flexible)
Salary: Not disclosed at this stage, but negotiable
Expectation: Experienced professional services leader, with proven track record in people management and critical involvement in driving operational improvement.
Education: As expected of a senior people management professional, to be combined with hands on and practical experience in a high performing professional services business.
Enquiries should be directed to: C/- Emma Elliott, CEO, ALPMA – firstname.lastname@example.org
To applyAll enquiries and applications to:
c/- Emma Elliott, Chief Executive Officer, ALPMA – email@example.com