18 November 2023
The annual report of salaries and remuneration within New Zealand law firms is now available
In 2023, 155 New Zealand law offices, employing 4,300 people, reported their employment and staffing experiences up to 1 January 2023, making it the most comprehensive study of salaries and remuneration within New Zealand's legal industry.
2023 Key Findings
Overall, average wages in the New Zealand legal industry increased by 6.6%, outstripping national wage growth of 4.1%.
Employment growth slowed significantly over the last twelve months. Only 41% of law firms increased their headcount over 2022 — down from 57% in 2021.
In a tight labour market, three-quarters of firms are concerned about their ability to recruit staff in 2023. Intention to recruit for all position groups has fallen, with nearly half of law firms anticipating no change in staffing numbers over 2023.
Concerned about Recruitment
Predict No Size Change in 2023
For more details about how these factors differ based on location and firm size, read the final report.
Get the 2023 Salary Survey Report
Firms who did not participate can purchase the report for $550 (ALPMA members) or $2,200 (non-members).
Participating firms have received a complimentary copy of the report. If you haven't received the the email with your copy of the report, please contact us.
Clients of Fluid Legal Recruitment may receive discount pricing of $550 inc GST by entering the discount code provided during checkout. If you haven't received a discount code, contact Fluid Legal Recruitment.
All prices include GST.
Why purchase the report?
- provides insight into current & future issues in HR;
- defines staffing profiles & roles (60+ positions);
- outlines Firm & individual benefits;
- provides current salary data - from Graduates to Equity Partners (and everything in between);
- provides insights into anticipated salary increases & bonus structures;
- outlines recruitment intentions for the coming year;
- identifies other entitlements on offer at firms; and
- most importantly allows you to benchmark your firm against 100+ firms across NZ.
Firms and Individuals who participate in these surveys receive a complimentary copy of the research report.
Need more information?
If you have any questions about the research or need assistance, please contact our research team.