18 November 2023
2020 Australian Legal Industry HR Issues & Salary Survey Report
The 2020 Australian ALPMA Legal Industry Salary & HR Issues Survey was conducted 27 February through 13 March 2020.
In early 2020, 310 law firms (representing 11,707 staff) participated in our Australian survey.
This 100+ page report will provide findings on:
- Staffing profiles, employment roles, and salaries paid for 70+ legal, managerial and administrative positions—broken down by State and size of firm.
- Salary data for fee earners by area of practice and firm size/location.
- Regional salaries broken down and compared to CBD salaries.
- Information on employment benefits and bonuses, including bonus types and bonuses paid.
- Outline of employment arrangements on offer for part-time, contract, casual and full-time workers employed at law firms.
- Key staffing ratios to measure firm productivity and performance.
- Anticipated salary increases and law firm recruitment intentions for the next 12 months.
- The key HR issues and challenges facing law firms in 2020.
- Typical staff turnover ratios for lawyers and support staff.
- Outline of diversity and inclusion programs, including gender equality programs and the outcomes of gender pay gap analysis.
- Additional paid parental leave entitlements being offered to primary and non-primary care givers and typical return to work arrangements post parental leave.
Please note that this research was conducted during the period 27 February to 13 March 2020.
This was prior to the Covid-19 Pandemic and the subsequent disruption to “business as usual” for law firms in Australia. As such we recognise that the predictions and projections made for the next 12 months reported in this survey may radically differ from the answers we would gather if we were to ask the same questions post the Covid19 Pandemic outbreak in mid-late March 2020.
We stand by this research as being an accurate reflection of views held during February to early March 2020. The results of this survey need to be interpreted and applied with commercial caution, in particular, decisions relating to the performance and culture of your firm.
Firms and Individuals who participate in these surveys receive a complimentary copy of the research report.
Need more information?
If you have any questions about the research or need assistance, please contact our research team.