9 November 2023
|Business Development & Marketing
|1 - Practice Management and Business Skills
|1 - New Zealand CPD
As you gain seniority as a legal practitioner there is an expectation to begin bringing clients into the business. However, for some, there is very little training or guidance provided around the art of winning work. Often you have to figure it out on your own. This can translate into a reluctance to practice business development (BD), limiting the potential growth of both the business and your career.
Common issues include:
- Discomfort meeting new customers
- Don't know where or how to start
- “It’s not my job”
- Perception that you have to sell
- No clear framework to plan work winning activity
In an effort to counter these issues and make BD accessible and straightforward to implement the course will provide:
- An understanding of the benefits of purposeful BD
- Practical activities that enable you to make a meaningful start to your work winning journey
- Four easy to apply actions to encourage you to start building rapport with clients now
- Show the benefits of building long-term customer relationships right away
Who should complete the course:
* Mid-career to senior lawyers with BD accountability
* BD&M Managers and teams
* Practice Managers with responsibility for BD
Tom Watkin is an author and business leader with experience that reaches across the globe. He has led teams and business development efforts for multinationals, small business and national companies across a range of industries including consultancy, engineering, environmental services and instrumentation. This has included companies with limited market exposure and those with existing customer bases.
His MBA, MSc and BSc (hon) have made sure that Tom can successfully bridge the communications gap between the technical, commercial and sales disciplines. It has also allowed him to understand the hands-on application of strategy to business development practice and how to implement these systematically to achieve results. Tom’s experience to date has earned him an Associate Fellowship at the Australian Institute of Management.
Tom provides 1on1 business development coaching and advisory to walk you or your team through the process of assess, aim and action tailored to your specific situation.