9 November 2023
|1 - Practice Management and Business Skills
|1 - New Zealand CPD
If the legal practitioners are the brain and limbs of a law firm, the Practice Managers would be the heart / circulatory system; delivering services to the ‘body’ to ensure effective and efficient client service.
In this presentation, speaker Ben Deverson, Founder and Director of Lawganised will provide practical examples of the how Practice Managers can position themselves to become leaders of their firm and considered a peer of the Partners
Participants will be provided with discussion focusing on:
- An anecdote from the presenter on becoming a partner of a firm as a non-lawyer;
- Developing clear goal posts for Partners and Practice Managers on who does what and ‘staying in your lane’;
- Practice Managers coaching their own teams to move perception from ‘support staff’ to ‘trusted advisors’;
- Getting and keeping a ‘seat at the table’ and making an effective executive contribution, and
- Communicating in a way to make life easier.
Participants will leave with practical strategies to implement change in their roles including:
- Being clear on who does what in their firm and their own role in that.
- Communicating with legal firm partners in a way to make life easier, and
- Ensuring Practice Managers and their staff have their value increased by becoming trusted advisors and ‘professionals’ in their area of expertise.
Founder & Director at Lawganised
Director and Founder of Lawganised, Ben Deverson, has had a 24-year executive career of which over half has been managing and leading professional services firms. Prior to launching Lawganised Ben was the principal and Managing Director of a boutique law firm based in Fortitude Valley, Brisbane.
Whilst not being a qualified lawyer, Ben is a management specialist and has gained an intimate knowledge of the challenges that law firms face day to day. Ben’s strengths include strategic and business planning, practice management systems, cash flow management, process automation, performance metrics, leadership and legal practice risk management.
Ben’s career has been unique in that he has held leadership and management roles from very early in his career including an Australian Army Officer, Chief Operating Officer and Practice Manager for two global accounting firms, a senior commercial manager of a major Queensland infrastructure project and General Manager of an independent Statutory Body.