Legal Industry Financial Performance Benchmarking Study
In order to find your firm's ideal financial shape, you need to understand how it is performing compared to similar firms, identify areas for improvement - and then implement strategies to address them. As part of our commitment to helping you run a successful legal practice, ALPMA conducts annual financial performance benchmarking research for law firms in conjunction with Crowe Horwath in Australia and New Zealand.
Participating in the study will help you:
- Benchmark your firm's performance against the key indicators of financial performance, including profitability, work in progress days, debtor’s days, interest expense, labour cost, rent, and working capital.
- Interactively compare your firm's performance against similar firms using a number of filters including state, practice type and size of firm. This gives you a relevant and meaningful benchmark to work from and realistic goals to aim for.
- See how your firm's performance is tracking over time, whether you have realised your full potential this year and understand the gaps that need to be addressed to achieve peak performance.
- Gain insight into the industry's financial performance expectations for the coming year.
- Use this knowledge to find your firm's ideal financial shape
2015 Australian Study
The ALPMA/Crowe Horwath Australian Legal Industry Financial Performance Benchmarking study is conducted each year in December/January, reviewing results from the previous financial year. This year, more than 100 firms participated in the study. Participants will be provided with a log-in to Open Measures, Crowe Horwath's powerful benchmarking tool, to interrogate their results and visualise their performance to similar firms across eight key performance indicators on 23 February, 2016. Please note, information relating to each individual firm’s performance is strictly confidential. You will be able to see your firm's data that you have submitted for analysis; however, data relating to the other participating firms will only be available for comparison and analysis in aggregate form.
Download the 2015 Financial Performance Benchmarking Results Summary
Results Webinar | Thursday 10 March | 1 - 2 pm (AEDT)
We invite you to join us as Andrew Chen from Crowe Horwath presents the results of the 2015 Australian Legal Industry Financial Performance Benchmarking Study to ALPMA members and survey participants. The session will cover:
- An overall summary of the FY15 legal industry results
- A look at the key result areas and the benchmark for the legal industry
- A view of Open Measures and how participating firms can read their individual firm results
- Insights into how you can shape your firms financial position in order to optimise growth and secure your financial future
- Steps to mitigate risk and help positively impact your firm’s financial future.
If you would like more information about the ALPMA/Crowe Horwath Financial Performance Benchmarking Study, please contact Connie Finestone
, ALPMA's Operations Manager.
2015 New Zealand Study
The inaugural ALPMA/Crowe Horwath New Zealand Legal Industry Financial Performance Benchmarking study was conducted in July - August, 2015. Participants have been provided their login details to review their individual firm results via email. Thirty firms from across New Zealand participated in the study.
Download the 2015 NZ Financial Benchmarking Results Summary
"Our firm has undertaken this performance analysis for the past couple of years. It is well worth the time and effort it takes to complete (about 15-20mins).
The results are very informative and give the partners a more detailed insight into how their firm has performed when compared to other like firms.
Generally the partners only focus on total fees and net profit. These results breaks down those figures even more.
One of the main aspects of the benchmarking analysis is that it can tell you where the firm IS NOT performing well,
whereas the P&L results just tells you how much will be going back to the partners."
Kevin Johnston, Chief Financial Officer at Russells